When he wasn’t training for training for his title fight against Julio Cesar Chavez, Jr. this summer, Sergio Martinez spent most of the time badmouthing his Mexican rival. But less than a week after defeating Chavez to take the title from the Mexican, Martinez had kinder words for his rival in light of a reported failed drug test following the fight.
“I hope it was a misunderstanding,” Martinez said, in response to a question about Chavez testing positive for marijuana.
“I hope that if they re-test him it gives a negative result, and that it doesn’t affect a future rematch,” he added.
Still, Martinez said that anytime there was a failed drug test it was a black-eye for the sport.
“It’s very sad when an athlete tests positive for doping, whatever it is he has consumed. We have to set an example,” he said.
- Mexican Julio César Chávez Jr. and Argentine Sergio Martínez went head-to-head in the weigh in a night before they to will face off for the middleweight title fight at the Thomas & Mack Center at the University of Nevada Las Vegas. Photo: Cortesía Top Rank
- Chávez Jr. weighed in at a surprising 158 lbs, two pounds under the limit. Photo: Cortesía Top Rank
- Chávez is undefeated, although most, including the boxer himself, admit he has never faced a boxer of Martinez's stature. Photo: Cortesía Top Rank
- Martinez flexes his ripped physique for the fans. Photo: Reuters
- The Argentine, who exuded confidence at the weigh in, came in at 159 lbs. Photo: Cortesía Top Rank
- Both fighters renewed hostilities at the weigh in and once again hurled insults at each other. Photo: Cortesía Top Rank
- The atmosphere was at times festive and then tense at the Encore Theatre of the Wynn Hotel. Photo: Terra
- Martinez took time to interact with Argentine fans who attended the weigh in. Photo: Terra
- For his part, Chavez, Jr. looked good physically, and his strength is believed to be his strong point. Photo: Terra
- The two pugilists got close on several occassions, with their dislike for one another apparent. Photo: Terra
- As well as the fighters, their respective teams also mixed it up, but without major incidents. Photo: Terra
- The weigh in was packed with fans of both the Argentine and the Mexican. Photo: Terra
- The public expressed their support for their favorites with the Mexican contingent especially vocal. Photo: Terra