- Olympic and Paralympic hero Oscar Pistorius was arrested Thursday morning by South African police and charged with the muder of his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp. Photo: AP in English
- According to initial reports, Steenkamp was shot four times in Pistorius' home (pictured here). Photo: AP in English
- The South African Olympic hero known as "Blade Runner" lives in a gated community in Pretoria. Photo: AP in English
- After undergoing police questioning, Pistorius left a police station accompanied by officers. He looked down as photographers snapped pictures, the hood on his gray workout jacket pulled up, covering most of his face. Photo: AP in English
- Steenkamp, 30, died at the scene. Photo: AP in English
- Reeva was a model was a model who spoke out on Twitter against rape and the abuse of women. Sadly, she also he tweeted messages urging women to stand up against rape alongside her excitement about Valentine's Day. "What do you have up your sleeve for your love tomorrow?" she tweeted. "It should be a day of love for everyone." Photo: AP in English
- Pistorius made history in London last year when he became the first double-amputee track athlete to compete in the Olympic Games, propelling him to the status of an athletics superstar. Photo: AP in English
- Reeva was one of FHM's (formerly For Him Magazine) 100 Sexiest Women in the World for two years running. Photo: AP in English
- Early reports from the BBC quoted nearby residents as saying the believe the killing may have been an accident in a case of mistaken identity where Steenkamp was confused with a home intruder, although no basis for such explanation was given. Photo: AP in English
- Pistorius now joins the dubious list of heroes who have fallen from grace. Photo: AP in English
The judge who granted bail to Oscar Pistorius says he is related to a woman suspected of killing her two children and then committing suicide last weekend.
Magistrate Desmond Nair confirmed on Tuesday that the woman, whose body was found at her home Sunday evening along with those of her sons, is a first cousin.
The woman's brother, Vishal Maharaj, identified her as Anusha Maharaj. Police suspect her of administering a substance that killed her children, and taking her life by ingesting the same substance. Police say suicide notes were found.
Nair presided over dramatic bail hearings for Pistorius last week in a case followed closely around the world. The double-amputee Olympian is charged with premeditated murder in the shooting death of his girlfriend, Reeva Steenkamp, on Feb. 14.
- Olympian Oscar Pistorius is accused of murdering his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp. Photo: AP Read about her.
- Steenkamp was born in Cape Town, South Africa in 1983. Photo: RevistaFHM.
- She lived in Port Elizabeth where she studied the law. Photo: AP
- Six years ago she moved to Johannesburg. Photo: Getty images
- Steenkamp was also a high profile model, as well as a lawyer. She appeared in FHM magazine's 100 Sexiest Women in the World for two years running. Photo: AP
- She also participated in the reality show "Tropika Island of Treasure" which was set to debut this week. Photo: Divulgación/internet
- Reeva also was the face of Avon in South Africa. Photo: AP
- She acted in several South African television shows and programs. Photo: AP
- Steenkamp used her Twitter account to encourage her thousands of followers to fight sexual abuse. "WEAR BLACK THIS FRIDAY IN SUPPORT AGAINST (hash)RAPE," she re-tweeted just hours before she died. Photo: Divulgación/internet
- On Twitter, Steenkamp also tweeted about her excitement about Valentine's Day. "What do you have up your sleeve for your love tomorrow?" she tweeted. "It should be a day of love for everyone." Her last tweet was an enthusiastic acceptance of a friend's invite to celebrate the day with chocolate cupcakes topped with red hearts. Photo: AP