The Under 20 Argentine national team is virtually eliminated from the qualifying tournament it is hosting for the 2013 World Cup in Turkey after drawing 2-2 with Bolivia in its third group game.
With the result, Argentina has a single point in the table with only one game left to play against Colombia. The Argentine need to hope for a rout against Colombia and for a series of unlikely results in order to progress to the hexagonal phase that will determine the four qualifyers for the finals.
The game started much like the res of the tournament for Argentina -- disappointingly. Danny Bejarano got the Bolivians off to a perfect start after sending the ball to the back of the net in the 11th minute.
Argentina wasn't able to score in the first half, but responded early in the second when Lucas Melano headed them back into the game in the 48th minute.
Minutes later, Luciano Vietto gave the Argentines the lead and breathed new life into the team.
However, an inattention from the Argentine defense led to a penalty in the 8th minute and Rodrigo Vargas scored on the resulting penalty as the Bolivians sent the team and home fans home knowing the team was on the historic precipice of not qualifying for the next round for the first time in the tournament's history.
For its part, Bolivia also won its first point, but with two games remaining their chances of progressing are significantly better than the home team's.
- Argentina couldn't hold a lead in the second half, after coming back from a 1-0 deficit, and ended up tying Bolivia 2-2. Photo: AP Images
- The result leaves the Argentine team on the verge of being eliminated from the group stage of the Under 20 qualifying tournament for the first time ever. Photo: AP Images
- Argentina had lost its first two games, while Bolivia had lost its only game. Photo: AP Images
- Argentina now has to hope for a miracle as it must rout Colombia in its last game and hope for a series of unlikely results in other group games. Photo: AP Images
- Adding insult to injury, Argentina's coach, Marcelo Trobbiani, was ejected from the game. Photo: AP Images