Fernando Torres spared Chelsea a humiliating elimination from the FA Cup on Sunday, scoring a late equalizer in a 2-2 draw at third-tier Brentford to end his eight-match run without a goal.
The Spain striker curled in a superb finish in the 83rd minute to earn the European champions a fourth-round replay at Stamford Bridge and ensure they avoided becoming the latest Premier League failure in the world's oldest knockout football competition.
On Saturday, Norwich was humbled by non-league team Luton and Queens Park Rangers was eliminated by third-tier MK Dons.
Chelsea, which was outplayed in the first half at Griffin Park, fell behind twice to its rival from west London, with Oscar grabbing the first equalizer in the 55th.
Tottenham visits Leeds and Liverpool plays third-tier Oldham later Sunday.
- Brentford's Marcello Trotta (C) shoots and scores. Photo: REUTERS
- Brentford's Marcello Trotta (C) celebrates his goal. Photo: REUTERS
- Fernando Torres (3rd R) shoots and scores past Brentford goalkeeper Simon Moore to equalize 2-2. Photo: REUTERS
- Chelsea celebrate Torres' equalizer. There will be a fourth round replay match. Photo: Getty
- John Terry celebrates Fernando Torres' equalizer that gives life to Chelsea in the FA Cup. Photo: Getty
- Chelsea coach Rafa Benitez gestures during the game. Photo: Getty