Real Madrid denied that there is a feud between players and team manager Jose Mourinho after the Spanish site Marca published on Thursday that various players had threateneed to leave the club if the Portuguese manager stayed with the team.
Under the title, "President, in June, Mourinho or us", Marca informed that the two team captains, Iker Casillas and Sergio Ramos, had explained in a meeting with president Florentino Perez that various players would leave the club if Jose Mourinho was still with the team next season.
In a press conference which took place early Thursday, the Madrid president said "it is completely false that there was an ultimatum" to Mourinho.
Contacted by AFP, Real Madrid's press office confirmed a meeting between Perez and the captains but said that the reason given by Marca "was false."
"The meeting took place, but the conversation was not that said by Marca. What Marca has said is false."
- After Real Madrid fell to Malaga in the Spanish league, social media went wild with memes mocking the Spanish club. Photo: Soccer Memes
- This memes finds Homer Simpson mocking Jose Mourinho over his team's whole in La Liga. Photo: Soccer Memes
- Here Mourinho bids goodybe to the League after falling to 16 points behind Barcelona. Photo: Soccer Memes
- Not all the blame went against Mourinho, here fans take out their frustrations on Cristiano Ronaldo. Photo: Soccer Memes
- This meme took a much more drastic approach to Real Madrid's situation. Photo: Soccer Memes
- This meme acknowledges the benching of Iker Casillas. The caption reads, " And this benching stuff, what the heck is it good for?" Photo: Memedeportes
- Some of the attacks went against the media. The caption reads, "He doesn't play, gets more camera time than when he does." Photo: Memedeportes
- Tanto hinchas rivales como del propio Real Madrid festinaron en internet con el técnico portugués José Mourinho, luego de la derrota por 3-2 que sufrió a manos del Málaga de Manuel Pellegrini. Además, se mofaron de las decisiones del luso, como la suplencia de Iker Casillas y el adelantar a Sergio Ramos. Photo: Memedeportes
- The caption translates to, "This time the joke of the day came from Mourinho: 'In my opinion Adan is better than Casillas Photo: Memedeportes
- This one translates to, "Self criticism? What the heck is that?" Photo: Memedeportes
- Musings continue on the game, "No wonder Iker is benched, he hasn't scored one goal this year." Photo: Memedeportes
- Mourinho gives Pepe some directions, "We already got rid of Casillas, follow my directions and we'll make Real Madrid Portugueuse. Photo: Memedeportes
- Finally some words of support for Mourinho from Adan "And they say he doesn't use local talent" Photo: Memedeportes