The marketing fallout of Lionel Messi’s fourth consecutive Ballon d’Or award continues as his shoe sponsor Adidas has unveiled some honorary kicks for the Barcelona star to don this weekend.
The German shoe giants has come up with a new version of its f50 soccer cleats that are black and gold, with the years of his four respective Ballon d’Ors represented by a sun-like symbol across the boot.
The adulation for Messi is not unexpected as the Argentine superstar is coming off perhaps his best year ever, individually, as he scored 91 goals in all competitions and broke Gerd Muller’s calendar year mark that had stood for four decades.
Messi, who said out Barcelona’s mid-week Copa del Rey clash with Cordoba, is expected to wear the specially designed shoes in his team’s game against Malaga on Sunday.
Barcelona is currently running away with the La Liga tournament, is in the knockout stage of the Champions League and in the quarter-finals of the Copa del Rey, with Messi again leading the scoring charts.
- The soccer world continues to honor Lionel Messi, who recently picked up his fourth consecutive Ballon d'Or award as the world's best player. His shoe sponsor, Adidas, celebrated the accomplishment by coming out with new cleats which highlight the achievement. Photo: @teammessi
- The shoes feature several design elements including Messi's logo, emblazoned in gold, as one might expect. Photo: @teammessi
- Messi, who did not play in Barcelona's most recent game, is expected to wear the shoes this weekend, when his team plays Malaga in La Liga. Photo: @teammessi
- Check out a bird's eye view of the kicks. Photo: @teammessi
- The shoes may leave you wondering whether actual light is reflecting off those sun-like designs. Photo: @teammessi
- Being the best soccer player on the planet has its benefits, as shoe sponsors often customize the kicks for Messi. Last year, Adidas made some with is new-born son's name, Thiago, emblazoned on the shoe. Photo: Getty Images
- Messi's f50's are color-coordinated to match with Barcelona's home and away kits. It's nice being the best player in the world! Photo: Getty Images
- Messi and Adidas have had an extended sponsorship deal, with the superstar featured in many commercials and live appearances, like in this photo when the player was flown to London to show off his new shoes in 2010. Photo: Getty Images