Brazil's Gremio thrashed Venezuela's Caracas FC in a match for Group 8 of the 2013 Copa Libertadores Tuesday night in Porto Alegre, Southern Brazil.
- Brazil's Gremio thrashed Caracas, of Venezuela, 4-1 in their match of Gruop 9 of the Copa Libertadores, disputed Tuesday night in Porto Alegre.
- The goals for the Brazilian team came from the Argentinean Hernan Barco (16), Werley (38), Ze Roberto (54 and 72). Sanchez (59) scored for Caracas.
- There was a moment of silence for Venezuelan president Hugo Chavez, who passed away from cancer, before the game.
- It is the first win at home for a Brazilian team after Gremio fell to Huachipato in their home debut and Fluminense against Gremio in the second day.
- With the win, Gremio takes the lead in Group 8 with six points, same as Fluminense, but with a better goal difference. Caracas and Huachipato are in third with three points.
- Ze Roberto starred for the Brazilian team with two goals in the home win.
The goals for the Brazilian team came from Argentinean Hernan Barco (16), Werley (38), Ze Roberto (54 and 72). Sanchez (59) scored for Caracas.
Before the match there was a moment of silence for Venezuelan president Hugo Chavez, who died Tuesday of cancer at the age of 58.
"It was a hard, difficult moment. Our president just died, we are not going to leave the commitment we have hwere, the commitment to the country and we have to set aside a moment of great pain that Venezuelans are living, to think of what we have to do today," said Caracas manager Ceferino Bencomo before the game.
It is the first win at home by a Brazilian in Group 8 of the Libertadores. Gremio had lost its debut against Chile's Huachipato while Fluminense lost its home debut to Gremio.
"Gremio is very well aware of what the Libertadores means, we already showed it against Fulminense. We are at an excellent moment and now we are thinking of the next game," said the veteran Ze Roberto, becoming the star of the game with his two goals.
With the win, Gremio takes the lead in Group 8 with six points, followed by Flu, also with six, but with a worse goal difference. Gremio is third with six points alongisde Huachipato.
Next week, both teams will meet again in the Universitario Olimpico in the Venezuelan capital.