Arsenal lost valuable ground in the chase for a top-four spot in the Premier League by drawing 1-1 at Southampton on Tuesday, needing an own goal to earn a point after a lackluster display at St. Mary's.
Guly do Prado stretched to deflect Theo Walcott's free kick into his own net in the 41st minute, canceling out Southampton's opener scored by Uruguay forward Gaston Ramirez.
Arsenal lacked the spark that saw the team thrash Newcastle 7-3 on Saturday and was outplayed at times by the home side, which climbed out of the bottom three with the draw.
Arsene Wenger's team is provisionally fifth — five points behind north London rival Tottenham, which beat Reading 3-1 earlier Saturday, but with a game in hand.
- Southampton's Gaston Ramirez (R) shoots and scores his goal against Arsenal during their English Premier League soccer match at St Mary's Stadium in Southampton January 1, 2013. REUTERS/Eddie Keogh Photo: REUTERS
- Southampton's Jose Fonte (R) challenges Arsenal's Theo Walcott. REUTERS/Eddie Keogh Photo: REUTERS
- Southampton's Morgan Schneidekrin (R) challenges Arsenal's Jack Wilshire. REUTERS/Eddie Keogh Photo: REUTERS
- Ramirez celebrates with teammates. Photo: Getty Images
- Theo Walcott is surrounded by Southampton players. Photo: Getty Images
- Maya Yoshida of Southampton vies for control of the ball. Photo: Getty Images
- Yoshida attempts a acrobatic clearance. Photo: Getty Images