American Gregory Garza came off the bench in the final minutes to score the only goal of the game and give Tijuana a valuable away victory over Monterrey in the Liga MX playoffs Thursday.
Garza, who came into the contest in the 78th minute for Leandro Augusto, took advantage of a rebound in the area to score the winning goal in the 86th minute for Xolos, who will advance to the semi-finals of the playoffs with a tie or win at home on Sunday.
Tijuana, which advanced to the Mexican first division in 2011, is playing in its second consecutive playoffs and is looking to advance for the first time.
Monterrey, which will play in the Club World Cup in December, felt the absence of forward Humberto Suazo, who was out through injury.
Monterrey had only one clear chance when Aldo De Nigris shot straight at goal in the 61st minute proving little trouble for goalie Cirilo Saucedo.
Even before the goal, Tijuana looked the more dangerous side as they had a good chance in the 39th minute when Edgar Castillo blasted Monterrey's goal, narrowly going over Jonathan Orozco's crossbar.
- Walter Ayoví was swept off his feet by Javier Gandolfi, captain of Tijuana. Photo: Mexsport
- César Delgado tries to leave behind Édgar Castillo. Photo: Mexsport
- Jesús Manuel Corona tries to show his skill against the well-traveled Leandro Augusto. Photo: Mexsport
- Cirilo Saucedo got to the ball before Monterrey's Aldo de Nigris. Photo: Mexsport
- Saucedo suffered a temporary knock but was up after de Nigris gave a helping hand. Photo: Mexsport
- Duvier Riascos scored a goal in the first half but it was waved off for a foul. Photo: Mexsport
- Se caldearon los ánimos antes del descanso. Photo: Mexsport
- De Nigris and Joshua Ábrego during battle. Photo: Mexsport
- Ángel Reyna shot this free kick into the wall. Photo: Mexsport
- After coming on in the 78th minute, American Gregory Garza, scored the winning goal for Tijuana in the 86th minute. Photo: Mexsport