Christian Benítez has declared he is traumatized with the constant failing of penalty kicks.
The Ecuadorian striker shot very high a penalty at the 96th minute last Saturday, which would have meant the tying goal for America. When the penalty was called by the referee, Rubens Sambueza was the designated player to take the penalty per coach Miguel Herrera’s instruction, but Benítez asked for the ball.
“Yes, it has traumatized me, but I am calm, is just not the moment to take a penalty. If we are winning by three or four goals maybe I have the chance to take it, but if it is a decisive penalty, it wouldn’t be the right time. I better focus on something else, to score goals in a different way,” said the Ecuador international.
“When you score, you are the best and when you fail, you’re criticized, the fans have that right. It was all a misunderstanding. There was no indiscipline. I am committed to do things well, give everything on the pitch, for me and for the team,” Benítez added.
‘Chucho’ also referred to his celebration every time he scores, which has caused him to get yellow cards when he takes his jersey off or celebrates in excess. He accepted he will change the way he celebrates so he doesn’t fall in risk of being sent off.
‘The club has its rules and many people don’t like that a player lifts his jersey every time. I told (America president) Peláez he was right. I hope to score and not take my jersey off,” said the Ecuadorian.
- Christian Benitez missed a penalty against Estudiantes Tecos in the Apertura 2011, which whould have given the team the draw in a game they were losing 2-1. Photo: Mexsport
- Oswaldo Sanchez saved a kick from Benites in the Apertura 2011. America and Santos finished the game 1-1. Photo: Mexsport
- Liborio Sanchez, of Queretaro, also had the honor of stopping the striker's kick in the Clausura 2012. Fortunately for the Ecuadorian, America would win the game 2-0. Photo: Mexsport
- The penalty blocked by Jose de Jesus Corona in the Clausura 2012 was a double edged disappointment. America would end up drawing 2-2 with Cruz Azul, when the penalty would have given America the 3-1 lead, and the miss forced the striker to have to share the scoring title with Ivan Alonso of Toluca. Photo: Mexsport
- The last miss by Benitez form the penalty spot came in the Apertura 2012 against Tijuana in a 1-0 loss, due precisely to Benitez' miss in the 97th minute. Photo: Mexsport