On April 8th, 2010 Mexican soccer was pleasantly shocked after the announcement made by club Chivas Guadalajara that Javier ‘Chicharito’ Hernández had been acquired by Manchester United for an undiscloses sum and would join the English team after the World Cup.
It was an unexpected move by Chivas´owner Jorge Vergara. The negotiations were kept confidential, nobody in the media had talked mentioned it , there was never a transfer rumor, like the ones Mexican media publish anytime a player becomes a star in the league.
With his participation this Sunday against Swansea,’Chicharito’completed 100 games with the ‘Red Devils’ . It took him a Little bit over two years to achieve that mark.
After 100 matches, ‘Chicharito’ has won Man United fans' hearts, not only because of the goals he’s scored but for his charisma and determination to succeed at one of the world’s most popular clubs.
Even though he’s been affected by injuries and has played 41 of the 100 matches as a substitute, Hernández has managed to score 41 goals with United, appearing in every tournament possible in Europe and winning the 2010-11 Premier League title.
With the arrival of Dutch striker Robin van Persie to Manchester, rumors about a possible exit of 'Chicharito started pouring, which linked him to at least 4 different clubs. The 24-year old stayed for the 2012-13 season and has scored 9 goals in all competitions so far.
The following is ‘Chicharito’ Hernández goal breakdown with Manchester United (he also has a total of 9 assists):
Premier League 28
Champions League 7
Europa League 2
FA Cup 1
League Cup 2
Community Shield 1
- The Mexicans playing in the European leagues have had mixed performances throughout the year. The most relevant were Javier ´Chicharito´Hernández and Carlos Vela. Photo: Getty Images
- 'Chicharito' did not have a good first semester with manchester United. Injuries caused him to miss several games eventually losing the starter status to Danny Welbeck. ´Chicharito´scored 6 goals from January to May. Photo: Getty Images
- The beginning of the 2012-13 season has been a little better. After being rumors of 'Chicharito's exit during the offseason due to striker Robin van Persie arriving to Man U, Hernández has been used as a substitute most of the time but has managed to scored 9 goals and give 3 assists in 18 matches this season (updated to Dec 21) Photo: Getty Images
- Carlos Vela was only beaten by Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo in the number of goals scored at the beginning of 2012 (10 goals). He has been a key player for Real Sociedad. The club made an effort and acquired him permanently from Arsenal. Photo: Getty Images
- The 2012-13 season Vela has scored 6 goals and 3 assists and keeps leading his club's attack. Photo: Getty Images
- Giovani Dos Santos finally was able to leave Tottenham and was acquired by Spanish club Mallorca during the summer. Gio's club unfortunately has not done well until now. Photo: Getty Images
- After obtaining the Olympic gold medal with Mexico, Gio arrived injured to his new club. He had a good debut but ever since he has not performed very weel as he still lacks rythm. He even failed a penalty kick in Copa del Rey. Photo: Getty Images
- One of the most consistent Mexican players in Europe is Guillermo Ochoa. His club Ajaccio was able to avoid relegation, thanks in part to Ochoa's good performance. Photo: Getty Images
- 'Memo' stayed with Ajaccio for the curent season after several rumors of his exit. Photo: Getty Images
- Andrés Guardado played the first semester with Deportivo and became a key player for Deportivo's campaign that took the team back to first division. He was transfered to Valencia during the summer. Photo: Getty Images
- Guardado has won a strater position with Valencia but has not scored yet after 15 league and 6 Champions league matches. Photo: Getty Images
- Héctor Moreno and Espanyol had a good first semester. The club fought to qualify for the European tournaments until the end of the last season but failed. Photo: Getty Images
- This season, Moreno is still in the starting lineup but Espanyol is in the relegation zone and coach Pocchettino was fired. Moreno has played 14 league matches since the start of the season. Photo: Getty Images
Francisco Javier Rodríguez has had an acceptable performance with Stuttgart, although not always being in the starting lineup.
Photo: Getty Images
- This season he has played 14 league matches, 6 Europa league games and 1 Cup game. Photo: Getty Images
- Javier Aguirre returned to coach in the Spanish league. He will try to save Espanyol from relegation. Photo: Getty Images
- Since Aguirre took over, Espanyol has 3 draws (to dec 21) including one at Real Madrid. Photo: Getty Images
- Jonathan dos Santos has not played much with Barcelona's first team this season. Photo: Getty Images
- In the second semester, he has only played in one league match. New coach Tito Vilanova has told him to find a new club but Jonathan insists in staying with the club. Photo: Getty Images
- Former Chivas midfielder Ulises Dávila, who was acquired by Chelsea is playing this season with Sabadell of the Spain's second division. Photo: Getty Images
- After not having good luck at Dutch club Vitesse, he was transferred Sabadell where he has played 18 matches, scoring 5 goals and giving 2 assists. Photo: Getty Images
- Anibal Zurdo also left Mexico during last summer to play for Sabadell, scoring 3 goals in 23 matches in the first semester. Photo: Getty Images
- This season he has scored 6 goals and had 1 assist after 18 matches played. Photo: Getty Images