Morelia and Cruz Azul got the Clausura 2013 going in full force with a thrilling 3-3 draw in the first game of the season.
The home side was the more agressive, as Morelia dominated posession and scoring opportunities in the first 25 minutes, with only a few key interventions keeping Cruz Azul in the game early.
Regardless, the goal came quickly for Morelia. In under two minutes, Jefferson Moreno received the ball alone in the left post and finished past Jesus Corona on a cross from Leao Rojas for the 1-0.
Cruz Azul struggled to stop the dynamic Morelia attack, but Javier 'Chuleta' Orozco got a shocking goal against play when he found the ball in front of goal on a bad clearance by Frederico Vilar.
Just minutes later, in the 29th minute Hector Mancilla scored his first goal with Morelia on a great cross from Carlos Morales that left the striker alone in front of goal.
Just before halftime, in the 45th minute the Colombian Luis Amaranto Perea scored a header for his first career goal in over ten years (perhaps justifying why he had gone unmarked by Morelia down the middle.
The two teams went into halftime with a 2-2 scoreline that was more than favorable for a Cruz Azul team that had been outplayed for most of the first half.
Cruz Azul was more assertive in the second half, though Morelia continued to attack in the high energy encounter.
Cruz Azul took advantage of its second half control of play in the 65th minute when Chuletita Orozco got his second score of the night with his chest after recieving the ball in front of an empty net from Gerardo Torrado.
In the 71st minute, Morelia got a penalty kick in favor when Vela fouled Enrique Perez in the box. Rodrigo Salinas kicked the ensuing shot past Jesus Corona to tie the score 3-3.
Morelia was the protagonist in the last 20 minutes, pressing forward and frustrating the Cruz Azul defense as it sought to start the season off with a win at home. Cruz Azul, meanwhile, seemed content to hang back and focus on a counterattack.
In the 83rd minute, Joao Rojas had the game winner but Jesus Corona was the hero for Cruz Azul, clearing the ball on the one-on-one.
Cruz Azul finished the game with 10 players after Alejandro Vela was ejected in the 89th minute for a very strong, late tackle.
- Cruz Azul and Morelia kicked off the Liga MX with an exciting 3-3 draw. Photo: Mexsport
- Morelia opened up the score in the 2nd minute but was unable to maintain the lead. Photo: Mexsport
- Morelia dominated the first 20 minutes of the match before Cruz Azul was able to adapt. Photo: Mexsport
- Morelia had plenty of scoring opportuntiies with Jesus Corona saving the team on variou occasions. Photo: Mexsport
- Cruz Azul also tried to attack but was unabale to create clearcut scoring opportunities. Photo: Mexsport
- After Chuleta equalized, Hector Mancilla scored his first goal with the team to give Morelia a 2-1 lead. Photo: Mexsport
- 'Chupete' Suazo took advantage of a bad clearance by Vilar to score the first goal for Cruz Azul. Photo: Mexsport
- His second goal of the day would also come after a bad clearance bad Vilar that left him alone in front of goal. Photo: Mexsport
- Chupete was playing in place of Pavone and Teofilo who are not ready to start the season. Photo: Mexsport
- His two goals in his league debut are likely to create some tension on the starting spots. Photo: Mexsport
- Luis Perea also scored for Cruz Azul in the first goal of his career. Photo: Mexsport
- Vilar had a diastrous start to the season with a couple of bad clearances leading to goals for cruz azul. Photo: Mexsport
- Rodrigo Salinas equalized for Morelia with a penalty kick in the 70th minute. Photo: Mexsport