Spanish newspaper Marca is reporting Real Madrid wants to start conversations as soon as possible with Cristiano Ronaldo to review and extend the Portuguese contract until he retires.
According to Marca, the club is willing to increase Ronaldo’s salary and put it at the same level of other soccer stars.
Ronaldo’s salary currently benefits from the ‘Beckham law’ which decreases tax contributions to foreign players in Spain, but this preferential tax break will end in a little more than a year, affecting Cristiano’s salary dramatically and he could be paying up to 52% of his salary in tax contributions.
The Merengues would have to increase significantly Ronaldo’s salary after the ‘Bekcham law’ ends, going to more than double his current pay. However, the club will benefit from using CR7’s image which generates a good amount of revenue for Real Madrid.
Spanish media say Real Madrid’s president Florentino Pérez had a meeting with Cristiano where he expressed his discontent with the club. The meeting was held before the Portuguese declared his unhappiness in public.
The new meeting will serve as a starting point for contract negotiations but Pérez also wants to follow up on Ronaldo’s feelings and have a discussion with him about this issue. Madrid’s top executive appears to be extremely unhappy for Cristiano’s outburst which has affected the club’s image.
- Cristiano Ronaldo has always been very expressive both inside and outside the pitch. Photo: AFP
- He reacted after Bayern Munich eliminated Real Madrid in the Champions League semifinals. He missed a penalty during the shootout. Photo: AFP
- He celebrated big time when Real Madrid conquered the title of La Liga last season Photo: AFP
- There is no doubt that nothing makes him happier than scoring against archrival Barcelona. Photo: AFP
- The Portuguese declared Sunday that he is not happy and that the team already knows about the situation. Photo: AP
- He did not celebrate after each goal he scored against Granada. Photo: AP
- He left the pitch injured. However, that was not the reason he was sad. Photo: AP
- Ronaldo's declarations caught the attention of the most powerful clubs which would be interested in acquiring him. Photo: AP
- During Supercup's game against Barcelona he already had shown some uncomfortable expressions. Photo: AFP
- His relationship with Lionel Messi is cold but professional Photo: AFP
- He did not celebrate effusively his goal vs Barcelona on the second leg of the Supercup Photo: AFP
- He looked upset in different ocassions during that game. Photo: AFP
- Ronaldo looked nervous during the UEFA Gala moments before the UEFA Best Player in Europe winner was announced. Photo: AP
- He looked tense when they were about to announce the recipient of the award. Photo: AFP
- But he couldn't hide his discomfort when Andres Iniesta was announced as the winner. Photo: Reproducción / twitter