Robin Van Persie scored his 19th Premier League goal of the season on Sunday as Manchester United beat Everton 2-0 at Old Trafford to extend its lead over Manchester City.
Ryan Giggs put the 19-time champion ahead in the 13th minute with a well-placed shot from inside the area and is now the only player to score in all 21 seasons of the Premier League era.
Everton pushed aggressively for the equalizer but conceded a second in the 45th when Van Persie broke clear, rounded Everton goalkeeper Tim Howard and slotted home.
United leads rival Man City by 12 points with 12 matches left.
Read Madrid manager Jose Mourinho was at Old Trafford to watch United ahead of their first-leg Champions League match on Wednesday in the round of 16.
- Manchester United's manager Alex Ferguson gestures. Photo: REUTERS
- Manchester United's Ryan Giggs scoresMan United's first goal. Photo: REUTERS
- Everton's goalkeeper Tim Howard reacts after a defensive mistake by his team. Photo: REUTERS
- Manchester United's Robin van Persie controls the ball. Photo: REUTERS
- Manchester United's Phil Jones (R) challenges Everton's Marouane Fellaini. Photo: REUTERS
- A banner is unfurled to commemorate the air crash in Munich 55 years ago which killed a number of Manchester United players and accompanying journalists. Photo: REUTERS
- Robin van Persie (L) evades goalkeeper Tim Howard to score Man United's second goal. Photo: REUTERS
- Manchester United's Robin van Persie jumps to control the ball. Photo: REUTERS
- Manchester United's Robin van Persie celebrates after scoring. Photo: REUTERS
- Wayne Rooney eyes the ball after a tumble. Photo: REUTERS